[TUTORIAL] Alternate MS (Master Server)

Tutorials and How-Tos
p455w0rd
Site Admin
Site Admin

[TUTORIAL] Alternate MS (Master Server)

Postby p455w0rd » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:53 am

I added our server to the master server @ http://333networks.com/ This is a master server pretty much identical to the gamespy server (default when you click "Find internet games"). It is here for multiple reasons, the foremost is as a backup if gamespy goes down.

NOTE: If you were unaware, GameSpy is the only of the original default master servers still up and running

http://333networks.com/ for a server list/stats on this master server.

Ok, with all of that said, there's a UnrealTournament.ini modification that you must do for your client (the game) to recognize this master server.

1) Find (Ctrl+F) [UBrowserAll]

2) Under this there are three master server entrees by default. They are the Epic Games, MPlayNow, and GameSpy master servers listed as "ListFactories[X]" items. As previously stated, GameSpy is the only of these still functioning, so we can get rid of the others. There should be several other ListFactories entrees that are blank (ListFactories[X]=). These can all be deleted, and should to make things easier.

Now, where the first three were (and where GameSpy should be now) add the following two lines:

Code: Select all

ListFactories[1]=UBrowser.UBrowserGSpyFact,MasterServerAddress=master.333networks.com,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut
ListFactories[2]=UBrowser.UBrowserGSpyFact,MasterServerAddress=darkelarious.blicky.net,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut

Just for reference here is my [UBrowserAll] section:

Code: Select all

[UBrowserAll]
ListFactories[0]=UBrowser.UBrowserGSpyFact,MasterServerAddress=master0.gamespy.com,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut
ListFactories[1]=UBrowser.UBrowserGSpyFact,MasterServerAddress=master.333networks.com,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut
ListFactories[2]=UBrowser.UBrowserGSpyFact,MasterServerAddress=darkelarious.blicky.net,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut
bHidden=True
bFallbackFactories=True
ServerListTitle=
URLAppend=
AutoRefreshTime=0
bNoAutoSort=False

Note the number of the ListFactories entrees and make sure there are none repeating.

Save it (Ctrl+S) and you're good to go.

Also, the darkelarious.blicky.net server is just a second dns that points the same IP as 333networks.com. This is just a failsafe in case dns goes down.

P.S. Our server is listed on this page: http://333networks.com/ut?o=a;s=hostname;q=;p=6

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUTURE POSSIBILITIES

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now with all this in mind, rather than wait for gamespy to put that dusty old machine to rest, we can ditch it and run our own. I would like to build a community with the most highly active 99 clans/servers and run our own custom Master Server to boot. I know how to set up a master server (It's retarded simple). Then to reduce clutter in our clients, we just comment out (put a semicolon at the beginning of the line) all master server entrees in UnrealTournament.ini (in case we want to play on gamespy/other nets in the future). This reduces query response (the time it takes to load the server list) times as well. If it takes off I could definitely do some UnrealScripting and make a mod that just adds a tab to the main server browser window with sub-tabs containing gametypes.
Last edited by p455w0rd on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chamberly
Double Kill
Double Kill

Postby Chamberly » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:34 pm

I came across a thread familiar to this discussion. They would be somewhere at this site. http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/portal.php

I'll come back with link when I got a bit more time.
p455w0rd
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby p455w0rd » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:22 pm

yeah Hook's site is where I started my journey into creating/running a master server...

Chamberly
Double Kill
Double Kill

Postby Chamberly » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Ah ok, glad you getting it on the roll. :)
Chamberly
Double Kill
Double Kill

Postby Chamberly » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:45 am

p455w0rd wrote:yeah Hook's site is where I started my journey into creating/running a master server...

Is it ready to use?

Return to “Tutorials”