[TUTORIAL] How to export models from UnrealED

Tutorials and How-Tos
p455w0rd
Site Admin
Site Admin

[TUTORIAL] How to export models from UnrealED

Postby p455w0rd » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:56 am

Well here's one method without using WOTgreal...WOTgreal exporter, I have learned, fucks up the last frame of animated meshes..i mean BAD..anyway..here's a way to get the EXACT mesh without WOT

Original Post by gizzy on Mar 6, 2010, 8:52pm

This is a tutorial on exporting meshes from a game that uses UnrealEngine1 (UnrealED 1.0 or 2.0) You can use this tutorial for exporting meshes from Unreal, Unreal Tournament (And It's many mods) and a few other games. Check wikipedia for a list of games that uses the UnrealEngine.

NOTE: This tutorial DOES NOT apply to newer unreal engine games (UT2004, UT3, Mirror's Edge). Use a program called Umodel for exporting stuff from those games.

Load up UT UnrealED and load the package with the mesh you want to export. Open the mesh browser and find the mesh you want and remember Its name.

Next, build a cube and subtract it. Don't add textures, lights or playerstarts. Next, open the actor class browser and create a new class below actor. Give it the package name of "Mylevel" (No quote marks) and give the class any random name. DO NOT AT ANY POINT SAVE THE MYLEVEL PACKAGE.

In the script window, type the following:
Code:
Var a mesh;
Var b mesh;
Var c mesh;

Function mymeshes()
{
a = mesh'YourMeshName'; // Change these names to
b = mesh'MoreMeshNames'; // the names of the
c = mesh'ShitSonMoreMeshes'; // meshes you want
}

After that, compile and add the new actor to the map (NEVER SAVE MYLEVEL DAMNIT.) and then save the map. Close Ued and open it and load your cube map. Now open the log (View-->Log) and type the following in:
Code:
OBJ SAVEPACKAGE PACKAGE=OriginalPackageWithMeshes FILE="YourPackageName.u"

(Of course, replace YourPackageName with whatever you want)

Now close the Editor and check your system folder for the newly saved .u file. Now you can open this file in the editor and it contains the models you specified in the code.

Note that when you do load it, it will not appear in the package list in the actor class browser due to the fact that the package consists only of models, and no classes (You have to add them yourself.)

Have fun with your new models!
Last edited by p455w0rd on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
p455w0rd
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby p455w0rd » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:24 am

i've stumbled upon http://www.acordero.org/projects/unreal ... kage-tool/ - just make sure to set the dir relative to c:\..like in option default directory is \ - this refers to c:\ rather than the current directory..this was confusing..otherwise..looks promising..far more so that WOTgreal
[EDIT]----------------
this app is throwing same 'expected verticies' error as WOTgreal...going to try using #exec obj load to import to the meshes..this is really weird..like once a mesh is made they don't want it being reused..or the code/documentation these 3rd party devs is using is faulty? i dunno..the really weird thing is that the first time I compiled this mesh it worked almost perfectly..only after 2nd compile did things go to shit..i've renamed and all that good shit..we'll see...

Also..meshes load quicker and use less memory than bsp..bsp can be converted to mesh :)

p455w0rd
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby p455w0rd » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:29 am

Just an update as I'm using UTPT to export ChaosUT Meshes...UCC is throwing warnings about meshmaps (a meshmap basically tells UT what regions of a mesh to apply a texture to..no biggie), but the meshes work perfectly...So I'd say definitely use UTPT first...if ur shit's still jacked, then use the method I described...

thepostman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thepostman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:15 pm

Hole crap Password .....Amazing .

Return to “Tutorials”