PS3 3.55 Jailbreak HOWTO - Backups/Homebrew fully working!

PS2 and PS3 Hacks, Mods, and General Discussion.

Moderator: p455w0rd

the_w0rd
Double Kill
Double Kill

PS3 3.55 Jailbreak HOWTO - Backups/Homebrew fully working!

Postby the_w0rd » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Okay, I haven't found a tut yet that just works, so I will attempt to do that here.

WARNING: I've heard through the vine that this has bricked several 20-60GB PS3 units. 80GB+ should be fine (Mine's 80)..proceed at your own risk..i assume no responsibility from your new paperweight if things go south...

Items needed:
IQ of 60 or greater (yeah I ripped it from alterIW howto...WHAT!?)
Flash drive
PS3 updated to 3.55 (I'm using the 'fat' PS3)
geohot's CFW (link)
Waninkoko's CFW (link)
multiMAN FM/BM/FTP (link)

Okay, on to the fun stuff!

First plug in the flash drive and create a folder named PS3 (case sensitive) on the root folder.
Inside that folder create a folder named "UPDATE" (case sensitive).
Extract the geohot PS3UPDAT.PUP file to the /PS3/UPDATE/ directory on your flash drive

Now would be a good time to get all homebrew on the device as well. All homebrew .pkg files go on the root of the flash drive and can safely be renamed if they have a weird name. For multiMAN, you will want both .pkg files. Search google for Emulators and the like. Just make sure at this point all the homebrew you want is on the root of the flash drive (if the homebrew apps have EBOOT.BIN files, they are not needed here..just the .pkg files)

Now, remove the flash drive from your pc, turn on the ps3, and insert the flash drifve into a USB port.

Go to "System" -> "Update" -> "Update via storage media"

It will find the 3.55-jb update on the flash drive...If not, start over.

Press ok and accept the lincense agreement (it's humorous) and let it install. It will take a bit to install and at the end it'll beep a lot..for me it was 9 times but I've read reports of 7-11 beeps. Then, if I remember correctly, it just shuts down (this happens after first reboot i think).

You'll now have to manually turn the PS3 on at the console. When it loads, under "Games" there will be an "Install package files" folder. In this folder should be the list of .pkg files. Not all will install, and that's OK..just install whatever is willing.

Note that for the homebrew game breakout and a couple of the other homebrew apps (including fceu ps3), they MUST be installed now and won't install after we update to Waninkoko..so get 'em installed!

Okay, you got everything installed that is willing to be installed under geohot's CFW. Now we install Waninkoko OVER geohot's CFW.

Now take the flash drive back to the PC. Unzip the Waninkoko file PS3UPDATE-CFW.PUP file to a temp folder. (I used Desktop..ok, no I didn't..just use desktop if you're lost). Rename it PS3UPDAT.PUP and copy it to the /PS3/UPDATE/ folder on the flash drive replacing the geohot CFW that currently resides there.

Now take the flash drive back to the PS3, and do the update via starage media again, this time the update will be called "3.55-Waninkoko"..accept..it restarts twice.

Now finish installing the .pkg files that wouldn't install on geohot's CFW. For multiMAN, install the "multiMAN ver 1.13.00 MEGA [20110120_190000].pkg" first..then the "[LAST GAME]" package.

If you've reached this point, you're PS3 is modded :)

bu..bu.but what about the nes roms? and playing COD: Black Ops off the HDD? I can't fucking figure it out!

For NES roms, search for a pack on any torrent site for a PC NES emulator pack...take the roms from that file and place 'em in a folder on the flash drive...then put the flash drive in the ps3, lanch fceu, and navigate to the folder you created on your flash drive containing the roms.

Most games will boot normally from HDD..the major exception is the COD series. First, i'll explain playing a normal working backup.

I used Rock Band 2:
Launch multiMAN.
Insert Rock Band 2 disc in PS3
Press O (circle) once loaded to rip to HDD
Once it's done ripping, hit X to launch the game
It will ask if you want to direct launch..always select "No"
The PS3 will reboot (or maybe the app just quits. I don't know)
So now, back at the XMB, there is a folder called "/app_home/PS3_GAME/"
When you hover it (select, but don't launch), it will change to the game you loaded..launch it and all should be good...unless it's COD

To get COD to load...install as with Rock Band...and....get ready this is where it gets really complicated...insert any game disc..it will be recognized as Black Ops XD

Okay....so what about downloading pirated games? I'm a cheap fuck and those corporate bastards don't deserve my hard earned money!

Well...I can't condone software piracy...so you're on your own...but if you can back up a game and navigate the file system..it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Good luck! be sure to post your results!

creds to geohot, Waninkoko and the ps3 hacking community..this is fucking sweet.
Last edited by the_w0rd on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
the_w0rd
Double Kill
Double Kill

Postby the_w0rd » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Also, I would like to note that since I tried installing the NES emulator _after_ Waninkoko, I had to go back to stock, install geohot's CFW, install the emulator, and reinstall Waninkoko. Something to note was that after going back to stock 3.55, the /app_home/PS3_GAME/ folder and the Package install folder were removed, however, the apps remained installed as if they were DL'ed via PS store, and I successfully launched Comgenies Awesome File Manager. I didn't even try launching anything else. But you can go back to stock and pretty much delete all visible traces...it just seems that the "lv2" patch is permanent...

Return to “Playstation”