Preorder Windows 7 NOW!

Windows Vista / 7 General Discussion, Help, Questions, etc..
0skillz
Ultra Kill
Ultra Kill

Preorder Windows 7 NOW!

Postby 0skillz » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:50 am

They aren't making it clear if it's the 32 or 64 bit version you are buying but you can preorder as of today and there's a discount on the upgrade versions until July 11th or when supplies run out. Also if you want the download+ship option from Microsoft's site you DO NOT get the pretty packaging. Just the 7 DVD in a cheap paper sleeve... assholes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_ ... ison_chart

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Wi ... tegory/102

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-FQC-001 ... DXEDTRB43Y

Windows 7 beta build 7000 will start rebooting every 2 hours begiining 7.1.2009 and on 8.1.2009 build 7000's license expires and becomes not-genuine.

Windows 7 RC build 7100 is good until 3.1.2010 for the 2 hour restarts and 6.1.2010 for the expiration.

I'm not happy with the pricing. Considering the economy and the PR hit Microsoft has taken as a result of Vista I think they need to be more aggressive on the pricing. If they continue to follow Sony's PS3 pricing lead 7 won't do as well as it could. There are also a few little things in 7 that I consider a DOWNGRADE from XP - not remembering folder views as well as XP did, not remembering explorer window locations, not able to reopen explorer windows automatically that were open when you shut down... just off the top of my head. I don't know about Vista and will never install Vista as my main OS but 7 is tolerable and very usable with really good compatibility for older software from what I've seen with the RC.
Last edited by 0skillz on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0skillz
Ultra Kill
Ultra Kill

Postby 0skillz » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:30 am

I sent the Microsoft store an email regarding some of my concerns about buying a product from a site that doesn't provide all the details of said product. I actually got a reply.
Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Store Customer Care Team,

If I understand your request, you are asking for information about Windows 7 regarding 64 bit availability. The following information should assist you with your inquiry.

All Microsoft Windows 7 products come with both 64 bit and 32 bit editions.

You may wish to read the full product details page available at http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Wi ... tegory/102.

Unfortunately at this time to receive the packaging it needs to be a Full Packaged Product and not a Back Up Disc. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

If you have any further questions or wish to place an order you may do so online at www.microsoftstore.com or reach us by phone, Monday to Friday 8am to 1am EST and Saturday and Sunday between the hours of 12pm and 8pmEST. at 1-877-MY-MSSTORE (1-877-696-7786)

Thank you for using the Microsoft Store,

John, C
The Microsoft Store Customer Care Team

There is no mention on the page they mention that it includes both 64 and 32 bit versions that I could find. However it does say 32 and 64 bit included on all the specific product pages now. Amazon's page is still not clear about 32/64 bit.
ImageImageImage
MattMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MattMan » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:17 am

hmm wonder if 32/64 come on separate disc or if we all need to upgrade to blue ray to install Windows now LOL!
0skillz
Ultra Kill
Ultra Kill

Postby 0skillz » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:54 am

Regular dual layer DVD9 will do just fine if they do 1 disc... no need for 25-50GB bluray yet. The beta and RC downloads for 32 and 64 bit were each between 3 and 4GB images so unless they're doing something I can't imagine (which is possible) they'll still need about 8GB of space for both versions.

Return to “Windows Vista & 7”