Windows Vista

Review whatever you like, games, movies, your mama, etc.
poorman
Multi Kill
Multi Kill

Windows Vista

Postby poorman » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:38 pm

Hi everyone! Been busy. Hope all is going well here.

Vista, should we upgrade right away?
MattMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MattMan » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:52 pm

I played around with the beta versions of Vista and I liked what I saw and how it ran on my PC.. I liked it so much that I am really considering actually buying it rather than doing what I always do ( pirating ).. UT even ran good better than it does on XP.. It gets the thumbs up from me.. People complaining about memory or slowness must be installing this on old crappers..
MikeAnime
Ultra Kill
Ultra Kill

Postby MikeAnime » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:13 pm

ok what sys spechs do we need for vista
Sauron
Monster Kill
Monster Kill

Postby Sauron » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:36 am

thanks for the info ppl
0skillz
Ultra Kill
Ultra Kill

Postby 0skillz » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:56 pm

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/win ... 235461.php

bad news about Vista if you're a photographer. Apparently if you tag a photo's metadata in Vista, it destroys other important metadata used by image editing apps such as Photoshop. Microsoft's gotten reports of RAW files generated by Nikon cameras being unreadable after being tagged with Vista or Microsoft's Photo Info tool.
MikeAnime
Ultra Kill
Ultra Kill

Postby MikeAnime » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:30 pm

what do you mean tag a photo?

i just did a clean install useing the full version disk i got of home premium i still got lots of crap to install but i like what i see so far.

this vista installed faster than XP ever did and i am finally able to use a decent resolution to browse the internet and game on and still be able to see the text and icons and crap easily as i do with XP and a 800x600

im now at 1024X(whatever)

this portion of this post will be edited out later on

Ultra Kill

Postby 0skillz » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:40 pm

MikeAnime wrote:what do you mean tag a photo?

If you have to ask it probably won't affect you :P

Jpeg and other image file formats allow metadata to be added. Comments basically. The best damned image viewing application in the world can show you this metadata and believe me it aint fuckin' PAINT! There are basically two types of metadata that I know about, EXIF metadata and IPTC metadata.
http://www.exif.org/
http://www.iptc.org/pages/about_main.php
EXIF data is usally written to a file when a digital camera creates the file or by another program when it feels like it. Digital cameras will record the camera's settings and some other stuff when the image is shot... that way when someone brings me an image and tries to blame me for the way it looks I can just show them their EXIF data and say 'wait one minute Mr. Douchebag, what photography class or book told you it was okay to shoot at 3200 ISO indoors with poor lighting?! All righty then, give me my money and learn how to use your camera or just give up on being a professional photographer.'
IPTC data is used more for organizing and cataloging images. Keywords, descriptions, bylines, whole buncha crap is specified in the IPTC metadata. Many programs write info to this area also but most of the time it's something you would put in yourself somehow. Typically the only images I ever see that make use of the IPTC data come from a pro photographer who's put their contact and/or copyright info into it.
This metadata has been around for years. The general public's lack of knowledge about it is sad IMO. Nobody cares about their images like they should tho... it's one of the reasons why I'll be out of a job soon... I can deal tho. I have to.

The thing about RAW files - forget it. You'll likely never see a RAW image file unless you have a camera (usually only digital SLRs do this but not always) that shoots and saves in a RAW format :)

The next time you see some artist on TV or in a movie or whatever (whether fictional or documentary) using an Apple OS instead of a Windows OS you'll no longer wonder why :P This is just one more reason not to use a Windows OS if you're much more an artistic than techy/geek.

Then again there's also the other end of the spectrum of Apple users... the ones who don't like windows because it's TOO HARD to figure stuff out on. In my world those 2 groups (idiots and artists) make up the largest percentage of Mac owners. Not all artists are idiots and most idiots aren't artists... and that's not to say that there aren't any artists or idiots (haha there'd be no AOL if that were the case) using Windows. Yeah.

*DISCLAIMER: I have never used MSPaint or the retarded Picture/Fax viewer thing so if it does indeed show any metadata I don't know or care. Paint sucks. Get irfanview already. It's only been kicking every other app's ass for speed and simplicity for 10 years or so now.
0skillz
Ultra Kill
Ultra Kill

Postby 0skillz » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:22 pm

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?si ... 8&from=rss
Vista Not Playing Nice With FPS Games

I TOLD YOU...
0skillz
Ultra Kill
Ultra Kill

Vista and your Wacom tablet :)

Postby 0skillz » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:54 pm

http://www.wacom.com/vista/index.cfm

Okay... there's 1 cool thing about Vista I suppose. Not sure it would be enough to convince someone to upgrade though. Chances are if you have a tablet you've needed/wanted it long before now and already have some software that works similar and fine under 2k and/or XP... like me :)

I'm sure Vista's Handwriting Recognition features will be just as hugely popular as XP's Voice Recognition features :twisted:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/art ... Id=9011523
Buying a new PC? 'Windows Vista Capable' barely hits the mark
IBM'er says Vista's RAM sweet spot is 4GB

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=276
Windows Vista - 19 months of usage and counting

http://chalain.livejournal.com/43015.html
So Beautiful, So Disturbing
0skillz
Ultra Kill
Ultra Kill

Postby 0skillz » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:55 pm

...another step towards hardened and even more annoying malware. Normally, only specially signed processes made by special companies (decided by Microsoft) can be protected, but now the bad guys can protect any evil process they want, including the latest version of their own keylogger, spambot, or worm, as well as unprotect any 'good' one."

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/07/1426200
devilblessed
NOOB
NOOB

Postby devilblessed » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Vista's not good for gaming. I'm saying that for self expirience.
X-Fi doesn't work good at Vista. I cant change most of my graphics options in Vista (own the latest ATI drivers with my x1950xt).
Vista ha a lot of compatibility issues with hardware.
Vista's good for multimedia. Lets wait for the release of SP1.
0skillz
Ultra Kill
Ultra Kill

Postby 0skillz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:16 am

Microsoft agreed Tuesday to make changes to the desktop search feature in Windows Vista in an effort to assuage Google and head off a further antitrust battle with U.S. regulators. In a filing made jointly with the Justice Department on Tuesday night, Microsoft said it would change the search feature as part of the first service pack to Windows Vista. In the filing, Microsoft talked for the first time about when that service pack would arrive, saying a beta version will come by the end of the year. Under the agreement, Microsoft will create a mechanism whereby both computer makers and individuals will be able to choose a default desktop search program, much as they can choose a rival browser or media player, even though those technologies are built into Windows.

As part of the pact, Microsoft is required to do three things in relation to desktop search. First, it has to add the mechanism for computer makers and users to change the default desktop search. Second, that default search program will be launched whenever Windows launches a new top-level window to provide search results. That includes the Start menu, when a user selects to display results in a new window. However, in areas, such as the Windows Explorer, where Microsoft includes a search bar, Vista will continue to display the search results using the internal Vista desktop search functionality. Microsoft, however, must also add a link that, when clicked, will launch the default desktop search program and display that programs results.

Source: ZDnet

.... so now the service packs are going to be rolled out as BETA versions?! Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the service pack? I can see it now... Microsoft: Hi Buddy, here's our fix for all those bugs. Test it out for us and let us know if our bug fix has any bugs in it.
devilblessed
NOOB
NOOB

Postby devilblessed » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:53 pm

0skillz wrote:Test it out for us and let us know if our bug fix has any bugs in it.

nice one
RisingFury
Double Kill
Double Kill

Re: Windows Vista

Postby RisingFury » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:04 am

poorman wrote:Hi everyone! Been busy. Hope all is going well here.

Vista, should we upgrade right away?

Stay away from Vista. *Everyone* I know that had it, no matter how enthusiastic they've been about it have gotten rid of it. Everyone.

The speech thingy provides a week of entertainment, but that's it.

http://RisingFury.Clan-SoT.com
UnrealEd 2 mapping video tutorials: Over 4 hours
UnrealScript coding video tutorials: Over 3 hours
More to come very soon ;)

Return to “Reviews”