ut99 mapping

All information regarding our UT99 server. Plus General discussion related to the game.
Tater
NOOB
NOOB

ut99 mapping

Postby Tater » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi everyone, I do a lot of mapping and have run into a problem with the editor crashing. I'm asking this here because I see that you guys have a lot of mappers here and maybe someone could answer this.

I haven't had this issue with any of the maps that I've created but sometimes if I try to edit another, i.e. work with the lighting, every time I move or change a light the editor crashes. The 3D view goes black with only the grid showing and my mouse locks up. The only way out is ctrl alt del.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
MattMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MattMan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:53 pm

I've had this problem before. It can get to the point where the only way is to move/add your lighting in the grid view either top, front or side. then recompile. It can become a pain in the ass as you will need to do this over and over as you add/move lights so you'll be doing a lot of recompiles.

or sometimes if you highlight all of your lighting and delete it all then recompile your map and start the lighting over the problem will go away.
Tater
NOOB
NOOB

Postby Tater » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:27 pm

Yeah, I've already tried removing all of the lights and redoing them from scratch but it still does it. If I set the 3D view to wireframe, move a light, rebuild lighting and then switch back to dynamic lighting so I can see the effects that works most of the time.

The fact that it still does it when removing the lights and adding them again leads me to believe that it's a brush issue. Looking at the brushes real close does show some overlaps but that would call for a lot of brush clipping to fix it that way. It does have one real complex brush in it that I'm going to remove and try again.
Thanks
MattMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MattMan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Sounds like you have a good plan of attack. Hope it works out for you and you get your map done. Good luck.
pipe
Multi Kill
Multi Kill

Postby pipe » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Lighting will crash the editor quickly, if you move too many at once. try taking a few and move them, then rebuild lighting only.

Been there and done that.

The more lights the more chance for a crash as well.
Tater
NOOB
NOOB

Postby Tater » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:40 pm

I was only trying to move one at a time and it even did it after I removed all of the lights. When I put the first one back in and tried to move it into the right spot the editor crashed, locked up and took a crap on the floor, (and this isn't your Ranch map, so far it's working great). There is at least one very complex brush in there that seem to have a lot of overlaps where the brushes weren't lined up too well before the T3D was made.

I'm just under the strong impression that since it happens with just 1 light that it's probably a misalignment of brushes.

Return to “Unreal Tournament 99”