Getting this community on mIRC.

All information regarding our UT99 server. Plus General discussion related to the game.
cro_xt
NOOB
NOOB

Getting this community on mIRC.

Postby cro_xt » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:47 pm

Hello, my name is Tom, some of you guys do know me and some not. My nickname is .:XT:. and im playing for ESG team.
Im gonna skip the intro and get to the point. Please read it.
What is mIRC?
mIRC is a popular Internet Relay Chat client used by millions of people, and thousands of organizations, to communicate, share, play and work with each other on IRC networks around the world. Serving the Internet community for over a decade, mIRC has evolved into a powerful, reliable and fun piece of technology.

Sadly as far as i know this community is used to msn... which i found really irritating for contacting anyone or trying to make a rumble. I did it once and never again. Same as xfire.
I use xfire only for storing the camping servers, because for other servers it is not needed.Every clan can put their server ip to their channel, and its visible for every person that comes in that channel.
I understand that pretty much all of you is just bored of installing such a thing, thinking its just another chat program same like others, but i assure you it is not.
The rest of UT communities such as normal weapon TDM, CTF, Insta, and all other mods is using mIRC, and i have to say it really works and it keeps this game alive more then anything else.
Only in sniper camping people still use msn for organizing the games, setting up the rumbles, calling people to show up for the match and so on.

This is how my mIRC looks like, and this is my own clan channel aswell (the window called #TmNT) and a popular pickup channel "#vc.ut"
http://i48.tinypic.com/2rcyk9i.jpg

In every channel there is a list of people to the right connected to the channel.
You can send a message so every user in the channel can see it, or you can double click some of them on the list, and a new private window will appear.
windows are sorted to the left of irc.
Both of the channels on the picture shown have a gahter/pickup mode enabled.
Now whats that?
in any of these channels you can use command !add and you will be added to the list of the players willing to play at the moment (eki13 was added in channel "#TmNT") and as soon as the number of spots is filled in, in this case it was set to 2v2, the pickup (the rumble) starts.You will recieve a private message from the bot on irc with server information and teamspeak which is optional. after this players go to the ip adress and have a game. after they finish the game they can use command "!game over" to reset the pickup gather.
there are more commands like
!add red/blue
!team red/blue (switch to the red or blue team)
!remove (removes you from the pickup unless it started already.)
!gameover (resets the pickup)
!vote mapname
!status (shows the current pickup status)
!servers (shows available servers and teamspeak)
and some more...
Now imagine if only few members from each clan would join irc, and join the "camping pickup channel"....
A rumble could happen really easy.
Also having this much players on one list which is actually live would be more then awesome.People could chat, inform, and stay in touch much more easy.
At this moment there are few active servers aswell, so this way your server might be for some use actually.

In every channel permissions can be set to each user. so same like on forums there are admins, moderators, and normal users. (alittle different on irc but based on same thing)
Channel can be public or private (locked with password)
you can have more then one channel.
To create a channel is really easy and free ofc.

Now i will not make any instructions yet how to get on this thing, but i would like to see how many of you guys are willing to give it a try, and after few days / weeks i will count the number from other forums aswell and let you know how many would join irc, so you know you wont be alone there.
Sorry for huge text, it might look like its complicated thing but its not, just give it a try!
I will be willing to help ANYONE to set up his mIRC or his own channel.

This community needs something new, and this just might work.
Greetz .:XT:.
p455w0rd
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby p455w0rd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:38 pm

Yo..first of all...do you realise what year it is? No, we don't use MSN..we use TeamSpeak 3..if you've never looked into it, it's definitely worth checking out..on the IRC note, I actually run a server myself. I'm the only one ever on it. I use it just for messing around writing Perl/mIRC bots..I even got a flash client @ http://www.p455w0rd.net/?p=irc ...We should definitely meet up sometime.. My server is @ irc.p455w0rd.net ...I just lost two hard drives, so I'll install mIRC today...just know mIRC is OLD as shit...I highly doubt there are still Millions using it..I do miss the mIRC community..I was a regular @ mircscripts.org during the dohcan/fubar days...also..you didn't give a server to connect to...can't join a channel without knowing the server..
cro_xt
NOOB
NOOB

Postby cro_xt » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:08 pm

well about msn, i herd its like that, and whenever i wanted to contact anyone or someone needed to contact me, its going over msn...and even today i saw its still going like that for many teams. and i wrote this because having more then 5 windows of msn is frustrating, and thats just 5 of them...
when people see how easy and readable mirc is, how smooth it works, its just whole different story.
everybody use teamspeak3 today.
There are still allot of players using mirc, actually every active player from ut99, from any other mod but camping is on irc.
They dont even have forums, nor anything else for so long! Just irc and everything they need to know they find out there! Simple as that.
Network is quakenet, you can find me in #tmnt channel
I am glad there is people like you who used and still use irc!
I didnt post anything about joining irc because i wanted to see how many are willing to give it a try!
If this number would be big enough people would give it a try. if you get my point.

Nowdays rumbles got boring, and it rarely happens to have a fun game. what is still holding this mod are those fn, cwat ladders and so on which are getting boring as well.
I believe you played some pickup games using irc and you know that every time you join the pickup some different player could join. different teams are created every time.now imagine to get just around 70 players in one pickup channel, and ofc they join the channel when they have time and will to play. A rumble could happen really easy.
and we are talking about only 70 players... and yes there are at least double more active every day.
Getting informed about anything would be even more easy.
I really do believe things would go better if we move there, not just rumbles.. people would chat more, everything is actually live and so on.

This will be very hard to do. but i said i have to give it a try.
Having someone like you beside me would be more then awesome if people are willing to do this.
p455w0rd
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby p455w0rd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:53 pm

not 100% sure but I believe quakenet is the oldest running net still going...if not it's definitely top 3 ...nice choice...I don't see many here going the IRC route, but I'm definitely up for giving it a shot

cro_xt
NOOB
NOOB

Postby cro_xt » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:40 pm

I am glad you are up for it, see if you can speak to any of your members so if there will be enough people interested to it, we could actually make this work!
So far i know i could get ESG and NBK team on it! So i am talking about 20 members here already :)

Cheers!
thepostman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thepostman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:51 pm

Hell yes
p455w0rd
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby p455w0rd » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:44 pm

I feel a dFb mIRC script coming..and a perl based query bot...fun times to come!

MattMan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MattMan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:43 am

I would rather search for fly shit in a pile of pepper than ever go back to using mIRC.
p455w0rd
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby p455w0rd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:00 am

but millions of people use it matt...be part of if the 'in' crowd man..party with us like it's 1993
all your base n shit

cro_xt
NOOB
NOOB

Postby cro_xt » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:13 pm

I cant believe what im reading on other forums. and im surprised how people do not want to see a bright side of my post, yet some even go offensive.

Side of forums and ts3 mirc is a must, and nothing else is needed.
Mattman, if you are in gaming mood, for example this evening, and there is just 9 more players from this community in one irc channel willing to play (because yes, they are in that channel only because they feel playing)
You could actually have a game...

Join #cod4.wars in quakenet network, and see what happens there.

Lots of people say its over already its dead game.Why having it installed then????
Why lots of teams still enjoy those last games that happen?
Yes it isnt 1993, but every single day there are around 100 players online, spread around in some public servers. More of them just online.
But ya, who would like to have them online gathered in one channel.
thepostman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thepostman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Good point ......True Dat !
cro_xt
NOOB
NOOB

Postby cro_xt » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:17 pm

http://i49.tinypic.com/2z5pqah.png
Have a look at my channel with only 24 people on
normal weapon tdm channel, gather option is installed few days ago.
every day they are playing.

Return to “Unreal Tournament 99”